Since its beginnings in 1838, Riverview Church has undergone many transformations. At that time a traveling preacher named Elder West founded a Methodist-Episcopal church with seven members, who gathered in homes until the first meeting house was built in 1842.
In 1849 the church split over the issue of slavery, with a new meeting house being built in 1852. This little white building has had many names over the years: Briar Hill Church, River View Church, River View Bible Baptist Church, and River View Community Church. Now known once more as Briar Hill Church, this building still stands on the corner of Fairmount and Chillicothe Roads.
During the early years of the Depression, the church was forced to close but was reopened in 1933 by the Roy Brest family and led by Pastor Mahler. During the 1950s, the little white church hosted the first radio broadcast of WCRF, with speaker Ray Morgret.
In April of 1962, construction commenced on a new and larger building about a quarter mile south of the original site. The church continued to grow, and in 1974 ground was broken for a new addition that would become our current sanctuary.
Today, we’re thankful for the many years that Riverview Church has served our community in Novelty and the surrounding areas. As a non-denominational church that treasures the Word of God, we honor this legacy by continuing to bear faithful witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ.